Welcome



Sunday, July 10, 2011

North Kingstown/West Greenwich to CT Line


Iʻm still figuring out my way around so this route unfortunately deals with a few crappy roads, but in return covers some killer country roads. Right now, my issue is that I rely on google maps to design a route the night before heading out. A flaw with google maps is that it doesnʻt indicate the non paved roads on the map view and itʻs too difficult to definitively determine using satellite view.

This route covers some of the same ground as my previous ride North Kingstown/West Greenwich ride but using my new "gateway" west out of Wickford Village and covers additional roads south and west therefore adding a few miles (like 20ish). This is a route I really want to perfect in terms of finding better ways around some of the less desirable roads. One day I will post a route called "The epic NK/WG Loop". That route will definitely include Mail Road, Escoheag Hill Road, and Plain Meeting House Hill Road. So far these are the best roads Iʻve been on, including some of the connections. Iʻm convinced Plain Meeting House Hill Road heading East towards 102 is THE best climb in the state. I know this sounds ridiculous for most of the other states, but itʻs a 1 mile grunt with pitches up to 15%. I would laugh too hearing that from my previous riding lives, but none the less this is the now and itʻs a real fun grind. Mail Road also has some nice rollers with a couple very short steep pitches.

My new discovery for this ride is Escoheag Hill Road, a beautiful newly paved country road with some decent short climbs. I just need to seek ways of approaching this road better. I crossed under 95 on Route 138 from where I got on at Stilson Road. Generally I would avoid all riding on 138, but there are also limited opportunities to cross 95 and this seemed like the best. It wasnʻt too bad, but it is a busier road that ever prefer. Thankfully I was only on it for about 1 mile before turning North on Route 3. My intention was to hit Skunk Hill Road off Route 3, which I did, but it turned into a gravel road a few miles in. I turned around and chose a new route using my iPhone. This time I headed North on Arcadia Road, a real nice road in good condition. All was good until I got to Route 165 (Ten Rod Road) which was my plan to head West. Despite the great climb on this road, overall it sucked. Shoulder was in horrible condition in many sections and itʻs a high speed limit road. My future attempts to get to Escoheag Hill Road will be via either Summit Road or Bald Hill Road (I know nothing about these roads yet).

Escoheag Hill Road eventually turns into Hazzard Road where I eventually turned onto Muddy Brook Rd and then connect onto my original NK/WG ride. I took Plain Meeting Road to Route 102 and then head South East on 102. Route 102 is another section I hope to eventually cut out of this loop. Itʻs not horrible, the shoulder is extra wide, but itʻs a high speed limit road and totally exposed. I took 102 to Route 3 and went South to Dawley Park Road and eventually connected back onto the roads that I was on earlier in the day heading the opposite direction and a sweet pedal home.

Again, one day I will have this loop dialed in to be comprised of [mostly] country roads. Until then, Iʻll have fun discovering new ones - some good ones, some sucky ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment