Welcome



Sunday, May 13, 2018

Pedaling for a Personal Purpose

I have been riding the Vermont 50 Mountain Bike Race for the past 6 years. I continue to be drawn to this event for a few reasons - largely because it's in Vermont at the end of September which means spectacular Fall foliage and quintessential New England scenery, and also because it's a grueling test of endurance and will. This race includes 50 miles of mixed terrain and ~8,000 vertical feet of climbing ( VT50 2017). Yet another reason for continuing to torture myself with this event is for its purpose. This event is a fundraiser for an amazing organization called Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports. It has been a very good feeling knowing this is a non-profit event and that a portion of my entry fee was going to a meaningful cause.

This year, I have decided to dedicate additional time and effort in making this a special year. I decided to raise the bar on my entry commitment by raising additional funds which 100% will go to Vermont Adaptive.

Adaptive sports, in general,  has a special and deeply meaningful connection for me. My brother, John, was very seriously injured in a biking accident with a motorist in 2004 which resulted in the amputation of his right leg just below the knee. With massive courage and strength, he returned to riding his bike about the same time I started riding the Vermont 50. He lives in Los Angeles with no direct connection to Vermont Adaptive, yet I feel the connection. He is not only riding his bike but really getting out there, back on the Velo LaGrange Bike Club and can routinely be seen riding the coast line north and south of the airport dipping into the hills of Brentwood and Hollywood. His mental and physical strength is a valued and much needed encouragement for me. Not just on the bike, or training for the VT50, but in everyday life struggles. Thank you John!

I am dedicating this year's race to John and am seeking support for this worthy cause and my goal of raising $1,000 before September 1st, the anniversary of his accident. Please visit my donation page to consider any donation possible. Your kindness will not only be appreciated by me, but more importantly to Vermont Adaptive and the those this organization serves.

MY DONATION PAGE







No comments:

Post a Comment