Welcome



Sunday, June 26, 2011

North Kingstown/West Greenwich



Since my first riding in RI was my commute, I would head out the same roads on weekends. It was my gateway to exploring the back roads. This ride is an epic of back roads. Narrow Lane, South Road, Middle Road and Carrs Pond road are beautiful roads for riding. The loop goes on Division for a few mile which isnʻt too bad. The road condition is great, just not a lot of shoulder and a fairly high speed zone. Route 3 is basically a highway, but with a extra wide shoulder and designated as a bike route. There is a nice climb on Route 3, but this route peels off on Weaver Hill road (passes under 95). Itʻs a steady, mild  climb for a few miles then a long decent to Route 102. Continue West across 102 for 4 miles on Plain Meeting House Road to the historic Plain Meeting House. There is a loop of a couple miles where you can return back to the same spot and back to Route 3 returning on the same roads. The best climb of the ride is within the next couple of miles (see on Strava): 1 mile long, average slope at 6.6% with sections exceeding 10%. Itʻs a "segment" on Strava that I currently hold second place (out of two participants :) )

Overall a very picturesque ride.  3,200ʻ of climbing, very few cars and well shaded. I will add, at times I felt like I was in a scene of the movie Deliverance. This was my first venture outside of the North Kingstown/ East Greenwich area. Let me just say - it goes downhill quickly once you leave these areas!

I will do this ride again.

No comments:

Post a Comment