Welcome



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Work Commute



My criteria for our new house - a good [bike] commute to work. (Daceʻs - yard space for a garden and compost, Ainaʻs - a much larger backyard than what we had in Seattle). So far we are all pretty happy, although Daceʻs garden or compost are not in yet.

My ride in follows really nice country roads. There is just one stretch on Post Road, but thereʻs a dirt path I can ride on which adds a touch of cyclocross into my commute. Stony Lane has a decent little (1 mile) climb. There is another little climb on Bates Trail. Nothing too note worthy, but much better than just a flat ride in. I can actually get my heart rate up since Iʻm towing my heavy commuter bike and backpack. Road conditions are sketchy in places which has me concerned for late Fall/ early Winter commuting (i.e. riding by headlight). Itʻs only 12.5 miles each way, but this area offers endless options to add as many miles I want along the way. The problem is finding the motivation to add those miles when I donʻt absolutely have to. Sometimes itʻs just easier to live 16-18 miles away so you donʻt have to decide to do more work, you have no choice.

Overall, a really nice commute. Very pretty roads, a lot of nice homes, few nice farms and very little car traffic! A great way to start the day, and not a bad way to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment