Welcome



Sunday, July 3, 2011

Wickford/ South Kingstown Loop


The day after deciding to not ride so that I could FINALLY get all my bikes out of their shipping boxes. Until now, I had only been riding my Specialized Tri Cross commuter bike for both my daily commuting  to/from work and my weekend rides. Today I rode the Crown Jewel.

This ride is very scenic ride passing farms, a large lake and winds through the towns of South Kingstown and Kingston. This was my first time traveling these areas. Lots of beautiful homes and generally good road conditions. Iʻm not a fan of riding on Route 2, but it does have an extra wide shoulder and itʻs a designated bike route. Route 112 is in good condition, but with little shoulder and with some traffic (not nearly as much as Route 2). I had hoped to explore more on the way back from the routeʻs southern most point, but rain was a threat and I was feeling a sprinkle every few seconds. Thankfully the sky never fully opened up and I stay dry.  I enjoyed this ride. Iʻll do it again since it can provide as a good workout. A few short hills and lots of flat.

This ride heads South out of Wickford Village and then heads West on Hamilton Allenton Rd/West Allenton Road across Route 4 and onto Exeter Road. South on Route 2, then West again on Mail Road. The first hill starts at 10 miles with a 2 mile climb with a slope of 3-5%. Other than that, this is a mostly flat ride. Head West to Carlolina Nooseneck Rd via Old Mountain Road, Hoxsie, Gardner, and Hoghouse Road. Head South, cross Route 138 and continue South on Route 112. Route 112 intersects with Route 2 at its southern most point. Head North on Route 2 then East to Route 110 via Wordens Pond Road. North on 110 then East to S. Road via Curtis Corner Road (this route provides the best way across the upcoming Route 138, because you never want to ride ON Route 138). North on S. Road, North Road and Slocum Road and eventually back to West Allenton Road and Wickford Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment